Thursday, June 19, 2008

Theatrical Illusion

My play opens tonight. Well, not MY play, as in, I didn't write it. But I'm in it. On stage, for a straight hour, sink or swim, just me, the script, my wits, my instincts and an audience, waiting to be impressed. Four months of hard work, four months of learning things I thought I already knew, four humbling months that have brought me perilously close to dragging a thick, black magic marker through "Acting" on the dwindling list of "Things Jeremy likes to think he has some skill at"...

I don't know. A couple of friends turned up, unexpectedly, at the free preview Tuesday night. They had nothing but glowing praise, and I can't deny that it felt good, after four months of our director not even bothering to TRY to hide his exasperation with my failure to deliver the performance he wanted. Hearing that at least SOMEBODY doesn't think I suck does do a bit to fan my flickering embers of enthusiasm for this project.

No comments: