Friday, December 14, 2007

Well, admittedly, envy is, by definition, not terribly grateful. Look at that as more of a confession. The Confessions Of Saint Thomson The Unnecessarily Verbose. And that, my friend, is just the very tiniest tip of the iceberg, the most sanitized, socially acceptable distillation that could possibly be made of my envy.

But lets not talk about that. Lets talk about dreams.

While the storytelling apparatus of my conscious mind is a tad slow and painful at present, my not-terribly-conscious mind seems positively prolific. So, in the absence of finished product from the former, I give you the feverish spewings of the latter.

A dream, from a a couple nights ago. With commentary.

I dream that I wake, suddenly, in pitch blackness. I recall that I am in a book/video store, and have fallen asleep reading, on the floor, right there in the aisle. They have turned the lights out. I do not know how long i have been here. I call out, and thankfully, the staff are still in the store. I make my way, clumsy and blind, to the central kiosk. A very pale, sickly green florescent light is turned on. The staff apologize for turning the lights out on me, and ask if there's something they can help me with. I tell them I am in the mood for a good sci-fi/fantasy movie, but want something new, something obscure, something i haven't seen. I ask for a recommendation. The one staff member, a scrawny, scruff-bearded young man, gives a suggestion, popping it in the machine on the desk and showing me a few quick snippets of the film. I am skeptical - It looks grainy, low budget, and cheesy. But they clearly want to close and go home, so I take the movie. As is so often the case in my dreams, the instant I make the decision to watch the film, I am watching it, and the instant after that, I am IN it, part of the story.
So, in the film, which has become the dream, I am standing, facing a beach, my feet in the surf. Behind me is a massive body of water, in which floats a small speedboat-type craft. The sky is heavy and odd-coloured, like dense cloud, like the roof of an underground cavern. I am speaking to a man, who is standing on the sand. He is assuring me that it is safe to bring in my ships. As he says this, I turn around and look up in the sky behind me. My "ships", a small cluster of hovering space-craft/blimp-ish things, are, as we speak, exploding, bursting into flames, breaking apart and falling into the ocean. I turn back to the man, who gives me a sheepish look and starts assuring me that he had no idea that would happen. I do not believe him , and turn and begin wading back to my boat. He calls out to me to not leave him there, to take him with me. I growl over my shoulder that he is on his own, that he can fend for himself. Words to that effect.

I am in the deep, open ocean, far from shore. My boat is upside down and several meters under the surface, drifting slowly down. I am swimming away, terrified of something that is coming. Which turns out to be huge eel- like creatures, dull gray, with salamander-like heads full of teeth, and red eyes that glow like Christmas lights. The eels are large enough to swallow the boat whole. I am under the surface, being thrown about helplessly by huge swells. Giant gray Eels swim past me, beside me, under me. One brings its massive head up to where I float, helplessly suspended in the current. I am looking at its red eyes, expecting to be eaten at any moment. Instead, I am suddenly sensing the eel's thoughts, communicating with it. I realize it is intelligent. I am being shown scenes from the history of the Eels - I sense that they have been hunted almost to extinction, or that they have, at least, a very troubled relationship with humans. The Eel seems very old and sad.

This whole world goes dark, for a moment, then, is suddenly lit by a dim purple-ish light. It is now clearly an ocean contained in a massive underground cavern. The light is being controlled by the "gods" of this world, apparently. A small, purple winged creature, perhaps one of these "gods", is hovering above the middle of the ocean, near the roof of the cavern. Below him is a small, barren rock island. On it stand the other "gods" - large, thick-set, bulky creatures, green and purple and teal...like giants constructed of mismatched Lego blocks. They are vicious, arbitrary, and fearful. Tiny humans are lined up in front of each of them, bringing them offerings.

No comments: